Dyslexia School of Houston Evaluation Process
Welcome to the Dyslexia School of Houston. We are committed to helping parents and their children understand how the evaluation process works for our school, so we are here to guide you through everything from arriving at the campus to going through testing and what happens once that’s complete. Read below for all that you need to know.
How it Works
- Parents/guardians will apply to have their child start our services. You can click here for the online application or feel free to call 832-767-0917 if you would like a copy mailed or emailed to you.
- Parents will need to send in things such as current vision and hearing testing, report cards, benchmark test scores, previous testing, etc. as a part of the application. This is to help us make sure that what your child needs is something that we can provide to the best of our abilities.
- Once approved, you will receive a packet of parent/teacher questionnaires in the mail. This usually comes in a week or two after application approval. Please fill out and return to us, and once that’s finished, we will schedule your child to come in for a consultation with our Diagnostian.
What to Expect
- A team member who is already familiar with your child’s paperwork will be the one to work with your child.
- The testing process can last anywhere from 2-4 hours, over several scheduled visits. This will depend on your child’s age and specific needs. Don’t worry, they will get a little break in the middle to get the wiggles out!
- The final visit will be when we work more with the parents, where we will go over our evaluation findings and chat about what your child specific needs and how we will work together to make this a nice and friendly process.
What to expect
As a parent?
- You will be sitting around in the waiting area for a few hours during your child’s evaluation, so bring something to stay entertained and distracted from worrying!
- Your part of the process is in the final visit, so be prepared for lots of questions as we try to get all of the answers we need to help guide your child.
- We encourage you to ask questions, as well. We know you will have many and your child’s needs are our top priority.
- You’ll be receiving an info packet full of helpful guides, along with a formal report to share with your child’s current educators and whoever else needs to be made aware.
- If you come up with any questions at any time during this process and your child’s education, we encourage you to reach out.
For more information about the Dyslexia School of Houston, our mission, and anything else, visit our website.